Saturday, September 26, 2009

The 1920's:"The Avenue" was full of life!

The 1920 census showed that 90 percent of Baltimore’s Black population lived along Pennsylvania Avenue. As I stated before, Pennsylvania was the heart of the Black community. This area played the most important role in the development of Black culture in Baltimore. Day and night Pennsylvania Avenue was crowded. Children attended school there; people shopped, listened to music, danced, and fulfilled their dreams and desires.




In 1921 the Royal Theater was built. I started my research with the royal theater. When the theater was finally complete this gave the Black community a sense of pride. The people who performed at the theater stayed in Black owned hotels such as the Smith’s hotel (once located at 435 N. Paca Street) owned by Thomas R. Smith. Mr. Smith was well known in the community and considered to be one of the wealthiest black men in Baltimore during the 20’s.The Penn hotel was also located on Pennsylvania Avenue. After celebrities performed, they would hang out and eat at some of the local restaurants.
As I read the information on Pennsylvania Avenue I felt the liveliness of this neighborhood. It made me feel like I was there dancing, singing, and just living for the moment.


No comments:

Post a Comment